I have been married to a wonderful Christian man since 1976. The Lord has blessed us with two daughters and two sons. I consider each day the Lord gives me on the earth yet another chance to serve Him.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Slow Cooker Meat Balls

These are so easy and so tender. I make these up when I'm not busy and pop them in the freezer (before they are cooked). Then when I have a busy day I can just pop them in the slow cooker along with my spaghetti sauce (I can my own). I also use this recipe when I need to bring an appetizer for a party.


SLOW COOKER MEATBALLS
(makes 36 meatballs)

Ingredients:
*1 pound ground beef (I use ground chuck or sirloin)
*1/4 pound ground pork
*1 egg, slightly beaten
*1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
*1 tablespoon minced garlic
*1/3 cup italian bread crumbs
*1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
*1 tablespoon dried parsley
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1/4 teaspoon black pepper
*1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I make my own)

Directions:
~In a large bowl, gently but throughly mix beef, pork, egg, parmesan cheese, garlic, bread crumbs, italian seasoning, & parsley.
~Shape into small meatballs. I use a cookie scoop to measure out my meatballs.
~Place meatballs into slow cooker.
~Pour spaghetti sauce over meatballs.
~Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 6-7 hours.
~Serve as an appetizer, or over rice or spaghetti noodles.
Variations:
-add 1/4 cup onions, chopped fine
-add 1/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped fine
-add hot sauce to make it spicy
-substitute spaghetti sauce for 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup milk mixed and poured over meatballs (swedish meatballs)
-substitute spaghetti sauce for barbecue sauce
-substitute spaghetti sauce for 12 ounce chili sauce & 1 1/2 cups grape jelly mixed and poured over meatballs.
-substitute the spaghetti sauce for a sweet & sour sauce: In a medium saucepan mix, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoon flour, 1 1/4 cups water, 1/4 cup pineapple juice, 3 tablespoons ketchup, 1/4 cup white vinegar, & 3 tablespoons soy sauce. Heat until sauce it hot and mixed well. Pour over meatballs in slow cooker.

Helpful Hint:
-avoid stirring meatballs for at least one hour or meatballs may break apart.

No comments: