I have been married to a wonderful Christian man since 1976. The Lord has blessed us with two daughters and two sons. I consider each day the Lord gives me on the earth yet another chance to serve Him.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Hobo Pies

Hobo Pie making always brings back fun memories camping with my children, their friends and our friends. Grilled cheese hobo pies reminds of a funny story about my favorite adopted daughter, Erica. It was always fun seeing all the different things they could put in their hobo pies.
HOBO PIE

Ingredients:

(The Original Pizza Hobo-Pie)
*mozzarella cheese
*pepperoni (optional)
*pizza sauce
*what ever you like on a pizza

(Pie Hobo-Pie)
*cherry pie filling
*apple pie filling, with a dash of cinnamon
*blueberry pie filling

(Chicken Pot Pie Hobo-Pie)
*one can cream of potato soup
*1 cup shredded chicken, cooked
*1 can veg-all, drained
~mix all theses ingredients and scoop a little in each pie.

(Beef Stew Hobo-Pie)
*Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

(Grilled Cheese Hobo-Pie)
*2 slices of favorite cheese
*1 slice of tomato (optional)

(Grilled Peanut Butter & Jelly Hobo-Pie)
*Peanut Butter
*Jelly (we omit the jelly)

(Italian Grilled Cheese Hobo-Pie)
*1-2 slices of mozzarella cheese
*1 bay leaf

(Reuben Hobo-Pie)
*2 slices of rye bread
*1/2 slice swiss cheese
*1 ounce corn beef
*1 tablespoon sauerkraut or coleslaw

(Ravioli Hobo-Pie)
*2 slices garlic toast
*2-3 tablespoons ravioli
*1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce
*mozzarella cheese

(Taco Hobo-Pie)
*taco meat
*salsa
*shredded cheddar cheese
*onions (optional)
*sour cream (optional)

(BBQ Chicken Hobo-Pie)
*sliced chicken beast
*canadian bacon
*barbecue sauce
*shredded monterey jack cheese

(Fresh Veggie Hobo-Pie)
*zucchini, cut very thin
*squash, cut very thin
*mushrooms, chopped small
*mayo sauce (1/8 cup mayo, 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic, dash of salt & pepper mixed all together)

(Pigs in a blanket Hobo-Pie)
*hot dogs or sausage (cut up small)
*refrigerated biscuits
*cheddar cheese.

Directions:
~Spray hobo pie maker with pam, if needed.
~Butter 2 slices of bread (any bread you prefer)
~Place bread butter side down in hobo pie maker.
~Fill with desired filling.
~Close and cook 1 or 2 minutes, until golden brown.
Flip on cook 1 or 2 more minutes, until golden brown on both side. (careful not to burn it).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering!! I want to come camping with you guys! hehe :) Bernie

bj brinker's home cooking said...

This is considered our easy camping dinner. We have been known to have full turkey dinners while camping. :-)

Jenn K said...

Wow...I am going to have to save this one for our first camping trip - which will be in Grammie's back yard for a trial.

How fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

its a toasted sandwich

Anonymous said...

"favorite adopted" daughter. As an adored daughter ( yes adopted) strange comment.

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter and banana, apple slices and caramel sundae topping, grilled cheese with bacon bits diced onion and diced tomato, canned spagetti with parmesan cheese, marshmallows(minis or 2 cut in half) and chocolate chips(this one takes some practice because it melts away to nothing if the ratio isn't right, or if it cooks too long or too hot),

Anonymous said...

I was sad to see these called 'hobo pies! we call them pudgy pies in WI!

bj brinker's home cooking said...

I should explain that when I say favorite adopted daughter, that she is not really my daughter. When did a "adopt a teen to pray for throughout the year". That was about 25 years ago, and we still pray for her. She is a part of our family. Sorry for any confusion.

Anonymous said...

I grew up with hobo pies (in Ohio). Pizza and cherry will always be my favorites. Thanks for all the new recipes as well. I'm getting back into camping as an adult with my own camper (who knew how much Dad actually took care of back then!? lol). Anyhow, campfire recipes are high on my list of items to revisit.

P.S. My mom had lots of "adopted daughters" (most of my friends) over the years--everyone knew what she meant. Sorry someone made you feel you had to explain that. I thought it was pretty evident.

DJ said...

You just brought back some wonderful memories. I have had the pizza, pie filling and the PB&J. I am going to try some of the others you mentioned. I don't get to camp anymore but I'll make them in a fry pan. Thank you for the ideas.