I have been married to a wonderful Christian man since 1976. The Lord has blessed us with two daughters and two sons. I consider each day the Lord gives me on the earth yet another chance to serve Him.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Eggnog

I drink one glass of eggnog a year. I love it! Now I make mine without alcohol. You omit the bourbon when I make it.  This recipe tastes much better if you make it a day or two ahead of time.



EGGNOG
(serves 12)

Ingredients:
*4 cups whole milk
*6 whole cloves
*1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
*12 egg yolks
*1 cup white sugar
*4 cups light cream
*2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
*1 - 1 1/2 cups bourbon or rum (optional)

Directions:
~In a large saucepan, combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, & cinnamon.
~Heat over very low heat and slowly bring to a light boil.
~In a large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar.
~Whisk until fluffy.
~Slowly pour hot milk mixture into egg mixture whisking quickly.
~Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
~Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil.
~Remove from heat and strain to remove cloves.
~Let cool for 1 hour.
~Stir in cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla & nutmeg.
~Stir in bourbon or rum (optional).
~Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before serving.

Variation:
-fill glass half way with eggnog and half with Vernors.

Helpful Hint:
`If you notice that the eggnog curdles or has any lumps, put it in the blender and bend on high until smooth
`I use the some of egg whites to make a peppermint meringue. (posted on my blog under, candy & holiday)

No comments: