I have been married to a wonderful Christian man since 1976. The Lord has blessed us with two daughters and two sons. I consider each day the Lord gives me on the earth yet another chance to serve Him.

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Sourdough Buttermilk Biscuits

 Crispy on the outside, but light and flakey on the inside.   Here is my hint to make them extra buttery flavor and so flakey.  Put your dry ingredients in the freezer for at least 1/2 hour.  I normally do this in the morning or night before if I know I'm going to make them.  I also grate the butter and put it in the fridge until I'm ready to mix it.   Cold ingredients make better biscuits.  This recipe is also very easy to double.


                                              Made with all-purpose flour


Made with whole wheat four


SOURDOUGH BUTTEMILK BISCUITS

(makes 6-8)


Ingredients:

*1 cup all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour or do a half & half mixture)

*2 teaspoons baking powder

*1/4 teaspoon baking soda

*1/4 teaspoon salt

*3/4 cup sourdough starter or sourdough discard

*1/4 cup buttermilk

*2 teaspoons melted butter


Directions:

~Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.

~Mix flour, baking powder , baking soda and salt together.

~Mix in frozen butter, just until it's coated with flour.

~Add in sourdough starter and buttermilk.

~Mix until it comes together.

~Knead for 1 minute.

~Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.

~Using a biscuit cutter cut out biscuits.

~Roll out scraps and cut out some more.

~Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or spray with cooking spray).

~Using a pastry brush, brush melted butter over the top.

~Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.


No comments: