I have been married to a wonderful Christian man since 1976. The Lord has blessed us with two daughters and two sons. I consider each day the Lord gives me on the earth yet another chance to serve Him.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry Shortcake screams summer to me. I make shortcake several different ways. I've made Angel Food Cake, Scottish Shortbread, Pound Cake & Sweet Biscuits. Today I'm making the biscuits because that was number one on my survey. If someone else wants me to post the recipe for the others, just let me know.

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE 
(serves 8)

Ingredients:
*1 to 1 1/2 quarts of fresh strawberries
*1/4 cup white sugar
*3 tablespoons water
*2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
*4 teaspoon baking powder
*3 tablespoons sugar
*1/3 cup lard
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*1 egg
*2/3 cup buttermilk

Directions:
~Hull and slice strawberries and put into a large bowl.
~Mix 1/4 cup sugar and water with strawberries and set aside.
~Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
~Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
~In a medium bowl comine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt.
~Cut the lard into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
~Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the beaten egg and buttermilk.
~Spread the biscuit batter into the greased and floured pan.
~Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
~Let set for 5 minutes and remove from pan.
~Cool on a wire rack
~Cut cooled biscuit in half, making two layers.
~Place half of the strawberries on top of one layer.
~Put second layer on top of strawberries.
~Put the rest of the strawberries over the second layer of biscuit.
~Top off with homemade whipped cream.

Variation:
`Before cooking biscuit, drop dough into 8 equal dollops onto cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
`Substitute lard for shortening.
`Substitute strawberries for raspberries.

No comments: