I have been married to a wonderful Christian man since 1976. The Lord has blessed us with two daughters and two sons. I consider each day the Lord gives me on the earth yet another chance to serve Him.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Double Decker Cheeseburger

This makes for a very sloppy but tasty cheeseburger. I think the sauce is what makes it. We eat the double decker if that's all we are eating. It's too big if you are eating sides with it. We just cut it down to a single patty and with no middle bun.



DOUBLE DECKER CHEESEBURGERS 
(serves 4)

Sauce Ingredients:
*1/2 cup mayonnaise
*2 tablespoons french dressing (I think kraft is best)
*4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
*1 tablespoon onion, finely minced (I use white onion)
*1 teaspoon white vinegar
*1 teaspoon sugar
*1/8 teaspoon pepper

Burger Ingredients:
*4 sesame seed buns
*4 extra bun halves (or 4 slices of thick bread)
*1 pound of ground beef
*salt & pepper to taste
*4 teaspoons onion, finely chopped
*1 cup lettuce, shredded
*4 slices, American cheese
*12 slices, hamburger dill pickles

Sauce Directions:
~mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
~store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
~I think you should make this at least an hour before using it.
~cut the top off of the extra bun halves down to about 3/4 inch. This will be your middle bun.
~Place the top and bottom bun face down of the hot griddle. Cook until golden brown, remove, and set aside.
~Divide the hamburger into 8 equal parts (about golf ball size).
~Press into thin patties.
~Salt & pepper meat.
~Cook the patties in your hot pan for 1-2 minutes on each side.
~Remove from heat

Build burger in the following way:
-Bottom bun, 1/2 tablespoon sauce, on toasted side of bun
-next put 1/2 teaspoon onion,
-next 1/4 cup shredded lettuce,
-next American cheese.
-next place hamburger over cheese.
-next goes middle bun.
-next the second hamburger patty on top of the middle bun
-next 1/4 cup shredded lettuce on top of second burger
-next 1/2 teaspoon onions.
-next 3 dill pickles
-next top bun, spread 1/2 tablespoon sauce on the toasted side of bun.
- Now the top bun is now ready to be placed over pickles and ready to eat.

Variations:
`substitute beef with ground turkey
`substitute sauce for thousand island dressing (not near as good, but if you are busy it will do)
`Add another slice of cheese to the top layer
`Add a couple slices of bacon on top layer
`Add a few saute mushrooms


Helpful Hint: When you buy your hamburger, divide it up and freeze it. It seems to cook better (doesn't fall apart).

2 comments:

Jenn K said...

Mouth watering. Burgers!!!!! Pickles, Onions, Cheese! If I knew that song I would be commenting it - my mom is the song woman.

I love changing things up on burgers and your sauce sounds yumm to the oh!

Can you tell I am catching up? I am printing the recipes.

Your girls are going to LOVE you for doing this blog one day. I am working on a recipe book for my kids with all of our family recipes in it with pictures. I have some from Mike's family and some from mine. I will add our family favorites as we start getting favorites.

Holly said...

You don't even know how amazing this looks to someone who is forced to spend 5 days a week around McDonalds burgers.. Blech! >.< This looks/sounds sooo freaking good...