I have been married to a wonderful Christian man since 1976. The Lord has blessed us with two daughters and two sons. I consider each day the Lord gives me on the earth yet another chance to serve Him.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Sausage Pepper & Cheese Bread

My daughter Tonia loves this dinner. I like this for a dinner in it's self, but others may want some soup to go with it.




SAUSAGE PEPPER & CHEESE BREAD
(Makes 2 loafs)

Ingredients:
*1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
*1 cup red pepper, chopped
*1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
*1 1/4 cups warm water
*2 package dry active yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
*2 tablespoons sugar
*1 1/2 teaspoon salt
*1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
*1/4 cup butter, softened
*2 eggs, room temperature
*4 1/4 cups all-purpose

Directions:
~Brown sausage, and red pepper until sausage, breaking up sausage as it cooks.
~Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
~Drain and cool, set side.
~In a large bowl combine warm water, yeast & sugar.
~Cover with plastic wrap and set sit for 10 minutes, or until yeast becomes foamy.
~Add salt, italian seasoning, butter, 1 egg, and 2 cups of flour, beat until smooth.
~Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough soft.
~Knead for 8-10 minutes.
~Place into a greased bowl, turn dough so greased side is up.
~Cover, let rise in a warm draft-free area for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
~Punch dough down.
~Divide into 6 equal pieces.
~Roll each dough section into 4x14 inch strips.
~Stir cheese into sausage.
~Spoon sausage mixture down each strip.
~Pinch long edges together on each strip, making them into ropes.
~Braid three ropes together. Repeat with other three ropes.
~Place on a greased baking sheet.
~Cover with a clean damp dish towel.
~Let rise in a warm draft-free area, about 1 hour.
~Beat egg in a small dish.
~Gently brush tops of loaves with egg.
~Bake at 400 degrees, for 25 minutes.
~Remove from oven, let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yummy! This was good but I think I needed to add more sausage. Mine didn't look like it had as much as your picture although I used I pound. I would make it again!

bj brinker's home cooking said...

Happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Sometimes I'll add another 1/2 pound more. Depends on how much I want at the time. :-)

Anonymous said...

I used to say the quickest way to a man's heart was with a six-inch blade right through the chest wall. After trying some of your recipes, I can see that it might really be food! Linda Denton