I have been married to a wonderful Christian man since 1976. The Lord has blessed us with two daughters and two sons. I consider each day the Lord gives me on the earth yet another chance to serve Him.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Blueberry Syrup

This is so good.   I think it's one of my favorites.   It's really good on pancakes, french toast & waffles but also delicious on ice cream or even over a angel food cake.  To tell the truth I could just eat it plain.





BLUEBERRY SYRUP


Ingredients:
*6 cups fresh blueberries
*1 cup granulated sugar
*1 lemon

Directions:
~In a medium saucepan, mix water & blueberries.
~Use a potato masher and crush the blueberries.
~Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
~Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
~Thinly peal lemon peal, from lemon, with very little white pith on it (the white stuff is bitter), set aside.
~Squeeze lemon juice from the lemon, into a small bowl, and set aside.
~Remove from heat.
~Place a fine sieve over a heatproof bowl.
~Carefully pour hot blueberries mixture into sieve.
~Use a wooden spoon or small ladle and press against blueberry mixture until all juice as been collected in heatproof bowl.
~Either discard pulp or make blueberry butter like I do.
~Pour blueberry juice into a clean medium size saucepan.
~Stir in sugar & lemon peals.
~Bring mixture to a boil of medium heat.
~Reduce heat and simmer for 25-20 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly.
~Add 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice.
~Simmer for 3-4 more minutes.
~Remove from heat, and cool completely.
~Remove lemon peals.
~Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 6 months (I like to can my, via a hot water bath).




No comments: